With a network of more than 600 professionals from every industry, the mentor program is the crown jewel of 1871. Every day, mentors dedicate their time and expertise guiding our members from issues ranging from legal to tech and everywhere in between, forming valuable relationships and producing concrete outcomes. This week, we say hello to Monica Kathuria, a licensed clinical psychologist and owner of Encircle Psychological Services, LLC.
- What do you know today that you wish you would have known when you first got started in business?
I wish I would have known how to run a business! You mean I can't just hang my name on a door and people will come knocking? Professional education taught me about being a therapist, but I had no experience with marketing, networking, administrative duties, etc. I had teach myself all of these things, but it all came together when I asked for help.
- What skills do you think are the most important for an entrepreneur to have?
Being a entrepreneur means that the passion and drive is already there, but it's also important to have good communication and leadership skills so that you can build a cohesive and productive team.
- What did you have to learn the hard way in your professional life?
Running a profitable business and being a therapist require different skill sets, so I had to learn how to be comfortable doing something unfamiliar. That requires pushing through and staying the course even when things get difficult.
- What do you consider your greatest success?
Raising a happy, strong, sweet, and curious girl.
- Who was a role model to you when you were coming up in your field?
My former therapist -- she helped me during a rough time, but she also taught me how to be a better therapist. Sitting on the couch and doing the work myself was a life experience that has been invaluable.
Now for the fun stuff...
- What is your personal mantra? Change requires sitting with what's uncomfortable until it becomes comfortable
- Which song is the soundtrack to your life? Beautiful Life by Ocean's Four
- Where is your favorite spot in Chicago? The Riverwalk.
- What do you like to do in your free time? I like to take vacations with my husband and daughter -- preferably somewhere with sun!
Follow or connect with Monica on LinkedIn.
Are you interested in becoming a mentor or teaching a workshop at 1871? Learn more here.