With a network of more than 300 professionals from every industry, the mentor program is the crown jewel of 1871. Every day, mentors dedicate their time and expertise guiding our members from issues ranging from legal to tech and everywhere in between, forming valuable relationships and producing concrete outcomes. This week, we say hello to Rick Kottke, VP, Program Manager at BMO Harris Bank.
- What do you consider your greatest success?
Total integration of global treasury management products from an acquired bank into the parent company and the replacement of mag-stripe retail debit card products with Smart Chip technology.
- What did you have to learn the hard way in your professional life?
Coming to the realization that not every business provides a great customer experience. It should always be about the customer.
- Who was a role model to you when you were coming up in your field?
Ian Sommerville - Now retired academic author of "Software Engineering". His ideas, writings, and methods are used by many other professional institutions and business as standards for software development and project management.
- What skills do you think are the most important for an entrepreneur to have?
Leadership, perseverance, charisma, strong communication, and patience.
Now for the fun stuff...
- What is your favorite spot in Chicago? Grant Park
- What do you like to do in your free time? Make and build things, learn other languages, and boating.
- What hashtag best describes you? #WishIHadC3PO
- What is your favorite comfort food? French fries.
- Which city do you hope you'll have a layover in? Munich, Germany.
- What is your daily ritual? Coffee first thing in the morning.
- What is your personal mantra? Stay on target.
Are you interested in becoming a mentor or teaching a workshop at 1871? Learn more here.