With a network of more than 600 professionals from every industry, the mentor program is the crown jewel of 1871. Every day, mentors dedicate their time and expertise guiding our members from issues ranging from legal to tech and everywhere in between, forming valuable relationships and producing concrete outcomes. This week, we say hello to Peggy Klingel, Senior Manager of Claims Innovation Strategic Partnerships at Allstate.
- What did you have to learn the hard way in your professional life?
I think there's a constant struggle in prioritizing the strategic over the tactical. I am aware of the importance of taking time to think and develop creative solutions to problems. I would have liked to have understood this earlier in my career.
- Who was a role model to you when you were coming up in your field?
I have been fortunate to have many role models. The most impactful mentors were able to balance strong career demands with personal and family goals.
- What skills do you think are the most important for an entrepreneur to have?
3. Strategic vision
Things like sales, financial skills, etc. can be learned or hired.
- What is one piece of advice you would give to a rising entrepeneur?
Never give up. Pivoting is OK as long as you keep moving forward.
Now for the fun stuff...
- What is your favorite spot in Chicago? Bubbles champagne bar. Love tasting new champagnes and enjoying their appetizers.
- What do you like to do in your free time? I enjoy reading thriller novels as well as business books. Learning is energizing for me.
- What hashtag best describes you? #getitdone
- What is your favorite comfort food? Kraft macaroni and cheese from the blue box.
- What is your daily ritual? Up at 5 a.m., meditate 20 minutes -- workout; then work
- What is your personal mantra? Work hard / play hard
Are you interested in becoming a mentor or teaching a workshop at 1871? Learn more here.