With a network of more than 600 professionals from every industry, the mentor program is the crown jewel of 1871. Every day, mentors dedicate their time and expertise guiding our members from issues ranging from legal to tech and everywhere in between, forming valuable relationships and producing concrete outcomes. This week, we say hello to Sangita Kasturi, CEO of Action Inclusion.
- What is one piece of advice you would give to a rising entrepreneur?
Stay tuned in to your instincts, build a strong network and don't give up!
- What did you have to learn the hard way in your professional life?
You can't go at it alone. You're going to need help, and a strong network and support system is vital for success.
- What do you know today that you wish you would have known when you first got started in business?
I left a successful engineering career to launch a career in journalism, get my graduate degree in gender studies and culture -- and eventually I found my way to my current career and entrepreneurship. There were a lot of naysayers along the way. I wish I had known to trust my own instincts and follow my own path no matter how unconventional it was.
- Who was a role model to you when you were coming up in your field?
I'm still friends with my first boss, from a job I took right after I graduated college. That was many years ago, but she continues to inspire me, and she's also a great sounding board and source of strength.
- What's your tech/startup "prediction"?
Women are grossly underfunded and underrepresented in the startup world. That trend has been slowly changing, and I believe we will continue to see an increase in female entrepreneurs.
Now for the fun stuff...
- Where is your favorite spot in Chicago? There are so many great places in Chicago. My favorite has to be Smyth and the Loyalist, a great restaurant downtown.
- What is your daily ritual? I like to wake up and start an art project early in the morning. If I'm peeling paint out from under my fingernails by 7 a.m., then I know the rest of my day will be fantastic!
- What is your favorite comfort food? Macaroni and Cheese.
- What hashtag best describes you? #WheresMyCoffee
Are you interested in becoming a mentor or teaching a workshop at 1871? Learn more here.