1871 Joins The Merchandise Mart To Host Social Media Week Chicago From November 16 – November 20
CHICAGO (November 16, 2015) – 1871 joined The Merchandise Mart today to kick off Social Media Week Chicago, a weeklong event highlighting emerging trends in social and mobile media. 1871 acts as the main location for Monday’s events, with the rest of the week’s events hosted in various locations throughout The Merchandise Mart. Social Media Week Chicago is presented by Crowdcentric.
“1871 is thrilled to join The Merchandise Mart in hosting Social Media Week Chicago,” said 1871 CEO Howard A. Tullman. “The conference highlights the incredible innovation taking place in social technology, and we look forward to showcasing Chicago as a global leader in this field.”
In addition to hosting the first day of the event, the 1871 community is playing an active role in the event programming throughout the week. 1871 CEO Howard Tullman gave the Social Media Week Chicago opening keynote, and a number of 1871’s member companies are participating in talks or panels, including:
- David Katcher, General Manager, Lyft (Trends, Challenges, and Insights into Shared Economy Startups)
- Nick Chapleau, CEO, Starchup (Trends, Challenges, and Insights into Shared Economy Startups)
- Billy Blaustein, Launch & Expansion, Sprig (Trends, Challenges, and Insights into Shared Economy Startups)
- Johnny Wong, General Manager, Luxe (Trends, Challenges, and Insights into Shared Economy Startups)
- Genevieve Thiers, Founder, SitterCity (Gender Equality in Tech Innovation and Entrepreneurship)
- Nicole Yeary, Founder, Ms.Tech (Gender Equality in Tech Innovation and Entrepreneurship)
- Peter Wilkins, Managing Director, Hyde Park Angels (What Markets Hold the Most Potential for Innovation and Funding?)
- Derek Eder, Founder, DataMade (The Ethics of Open Data)
- Beau D'Arcy, Co-Founder, Breakwater (Breakwater: Exploring All The Different Facets Of A Successful Crowdfunding Campaign)
- Ashvin Lad, Co-Founder, Breakwater (Breakwater: Exploring All The Different Facets Of A Successful Crowdfunding Campaign)
- Alex Woodward, Digital Training Manager, OFA (How Hashtags Influence Social Movements)
- Reva Minkoff, Founder, Digital4Startups (Dos and Don'ts of Google Adwords)
- Rose Alfriyie, Founder, mRelief
- Euler Bropleh, CEO, VestedWorld
“It’s great to see Social Media Week Chicago happening at 1871 and The Mart,” said WiSTEM member and Digital4Startups founder Reva Minkoff. “This event is a significant opportunity to present my ideas around digital media and connect with other likeminded people in the field.”
Social Media Week offers a series of interconnected activities and conversations on emerging trends in social and mobile media four times per year (February, June, September, and November) in over 24 cities around the globe. For the past six years, Social Media Week conferences have brought together over half a million people at thousands of hosted events across six continents, and connected millions more online to discuss the revolution in human connectivity and the role that social media and technology plays in global society, culture and the economy. In addition to Chicago, Mumbai, India and Santiago, Chile play host to Social Media Week this month.
Tickets for Social Media Week Chicago are still available. To learn more about Social Media Week Chicago and purchase tickets, visit the SMW Chicago website and follow @SMWChicago for real-time updates.